Friday, October 21, 2011

A Doctor 4 Times a Week!

Last week, Mommy had to see the doctor 4 times (a clinic doctor, a dentist, a general surgeon twice).  This week, I had to see the doctor 4 times too (same doctor, Dr.C)...

I started an episode of coughing at night last Sunday (October 18) and it got worse.  Here's the story for the week...

Monday, October 17
Daddy went to Singapore for work.  Whilst I was playing at home in the afternoon, I tripped and bumped my head on the floor!  Of course, I cried and cried.  Mommy was so worried about the 'mouse-hill' on my forehead that she took me to the doctor that very evening as soon as the clinic opened at 6pm.  Dr.C turned off the lights, checked my eyes and then also my knee reflexes.  Then advised Mommy to observe me closely in the next 24 hours.  If I start vomiting (not because of coughing), have a bad headache, act strangely or blurry, unable to move my hands or legs, then immediate medical attention is needed.  A head scan was not necessary at that moment as I seemed fine and the scan could do more harm than good.  It's 10 (or did he say 100 times?) more harmful than x-rays.  After checking me over, I was prescribed some medicine for my cough...

That night, I was coughing EVERY MINUTE till about 3am!  Sleep was no longer than 2 minutes between the coughs.  I coughed so much, I vomitted 3 times! (Which was worrying also because I had my head bumped earlier). What a mess!   Fortunately, Mommy had a small basin ready for me to use.  When it was 6am the next day, I started coughing again.  The medicine I had taken didn't seem to help. What's wrong?

Tuesday, October 18
In the afternoon, Mommy forced me to take a nap.  Even though I was very tired, my nap was not peaceful.  I coughed every 1 or 2 minutes. I snored, grunted and was rather 'noisy' when not coughing, as you can see in the video below:


Since Mommy has not fully recovered from her cough yet, she was tired, confused and panicked.  Alas, our prayers were answered.  A couple of sisters called and encouraged her.  Poh-poh and Daddy also called, then Mah-mah came over with some dinner and to stay the night.  Even Auntie Judy sent us so much food, there was leftover enough for another day's meal...

Before they came, Mommy took me to see Dr. C (2nd time) again even though it was raining dogs and cats that evening.  After she had explained my condition, Dr. C sent me to the asthma/lung treatment room to use the NEBULISER.  This was my first time using it.

At night, I slept at 10:15pm and I slept sooo soundly.  Only coughed twice during the night. Phew...

Wednesday, October 19
Mah-mah returned home in the morning.  I skipped school again. I seemed fine the rest of the day with occasional coughs.  But as advised by Dr.C, we returned to the clinic in the evening (raining dogs and cats again!) to use the nebuliser only for the 2nd time.  The session took about 15 minutes like the day before and I have been very cooperative.  I was a little impatient but I sat quietly most of the time...

At night, I slept at 9:45pm and started coughing at 10:15pm every 5 minutes and threatened to vomit each time, but stopped after an hour or so.  I was sound asleep by midnight, with only a few short chesty coughs after that...

Thursday, October 20
I went to school, without much fuss.  My teachers were informed to call Mommy if I start coughing uncontrollably again.  The day went quite well.  In the evening, I returned to the clinic to use the nebuliser for the 3rd time even though it was raining heavily (it's dogs and cats everyday nowadays!).  Mommy curi-curi took a few shots of how it was like, with her handphone (see picture below):

The mask
(Mommy was holding it for me, didn't use the strap)

The nebuliser machine

Sitting on Mommy's lap, waiting...
Dr. C checked me again after that and sent us home with more cough medicine and also added Singulair (which I have been taking for about 6 weeks already, from Dr. F, finishing in 5 days) to it.  I have what he called an 'airway allergy'. The nebuliser helped to relaxed my airway as it has been extremely irritated which explained the every-minute coughs.  My 4 visits cost us nearly RM450 in total! 

At night, I had a few occasional chesty coughs but managed to sleep through the night...

Today, October 21
I went to school in good spirits... but still coughing occasionally.  We still do not know what I am allergic to.  Hopefully, I won't need to use the nebuliser again.  What a week!

No comments: